Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Book



A Challenge was given several weeks ago during my Sunday School class: To read the Book of Mormon in 2 weeks, roughly 40 pages a day. I couldn't rightly say No to a challenge like that; I have the time and the means to accomplish a lot of reading every day. . .
So I took the Challenge. I knew it would be hard.
I started that night. I closed the door, turned off the lights and turned on a small lamp near my desk.  Opening the pages to this Book was something I had done many times before, and I had read the Book of Mormon many times before this.
And reading it as quickly as I did, brought about a different experience. A story emerged, one that I had not known before.
 I sorrowed with Nephi because of the wickedness of his brothers. Everyone always knows Nephi is a great man, so I tend to just forget about him, but I realized how courageous and faithful he was.
I admired Alma's courage to stand up to King Noah and repent. His own rebellious son, Alma the Younger's story of repentance and missionary work is beautiful to read. I have always loved the story of Alma and Amulek.  The conversion of King Lamoni and the Lamanite's is one of the simplest and sweetest conversions stories to me. 
I grew sad and depressed as I read of the wickedness of the people after they had received so much light and guidance from the Lord and the prophets. The Pride Cycle seemed endless and it was very hard for me to read.
In 3rd Nephi, when Jesus Christ visits the people after all of the destruction, I literally cried. I was so happy to have the Savior there. The prophecies had finally come to pass after all of these years, and it was wonderful to read about.
I loved reading about the strength of Moroni, but my heart ached when Mormon's story came around. "O Ye Fair Ones" is a phrase that will always be bittersweet in my heart. Mormon loved the people and prayed for them, and yet they continued to harden their hearts. And the story ends with his faithful son Moroni alone. Alone to finish the records and to go his way. How sad would that be? Everyone is killing everyone off, and the wickedness doesn't stop?
I can see why one would think that the Book of Mormon ends very sadly, and yes, it does. But it also can fill us with hope. Hope that we can be better and remember the Lord in our lives. Hope that we can keep the commandments and turn to Him. Moroni ends by inviting all to Come unto Christ, and this is truly the whole principle of the Book of Mormon. We need to Come unto Christ. Put away our silly grudges and bad habits, and Come unto Him.
It was a great experience reading the Book of Mormon like this: It was hard to read, but it was powerful.
I am seeing the blessings of my reading the Book of Mormon recently in my life. I am so thankful for a Father in Heaven who blesses us and shows us tender mercies from time-to-time.

If you are reading this: Please, Please, I don't care if you are busy---take the time to read the Book of Mormon and apply the principles in your life. You will truly be blessed and grow closer to the spirit.

The Choice is yours.

1 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.