Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Tender Tender Mercies
Posted on 3:37 PM by Kristalyn
You hear that phrase often in mormon culture--tender mercies--but what does that actually mean? My Dad is a great example of one who looks for these "tender mercies," but he likes to call them "little Miracles" which I believe is quite fitting when you think about it.
Do we see the things that God brings into our everyday lives? Do we notice that coincidence is never coincidence?
Are we fascinated by the little things in life that truly make up the big picture? I know that I sometimes catch glimpses of these, and I would like to share with you a tender mercy and sweet story.
I work at an assisted living community where I help the older people with activities. I love the job despite how much hard work it requires. On Saturdays, I am in charge of all of the activities for the day. It is harder than it sounds. I have to set up all of the bingo tables by myself within 20 minutes and I have hardly any time to clean it up because the next activity starts. It just requires a lot of running around on my part, which is okay. . . but it is terrible when you are sick. I have had a beastly cold and was dreading coming to work on Saturday.
I woke up early Saturday morning with a sore throat and my voice was pretty much shot. How on earth am I going to survive this day? How can I possibly call out for bingo with my voice? I thought to myself. I begged my siblings and my husband to come and help me, but they had so much to do. I was discouraged and sick, but I went to work nonetheless.
My mind had been racing the night before---what could I do to make the day easier? How should I set up the chairs and the tables? What can I do to make it better? I tried my best to prepare for the upcoming activities and was able to set up for bingo.
This may sound like the most ridiculous thing in the world, but this really was very hard for me. I used to have several volunteers that would come and help me out during Saturday which was so helpful. I haven't seen a volunteer in several months now. . and then about 5 minutes before bingo starts, a volunteer walks in. She used to come in and help me several months earlier, so it was very nice to see a familiar face. She agreed to call out for bingo, especially when she heard my voice. I told her over and over how much I appreciated her and how she really was an answer to my prayers.
She called out for bingo and took down all of the tables and put them away. She also set the chairs up as I had to leave for the next activity. She was my own little miracle, my own little tender mercy that day and her kindness really affected me---I walked down the halls of the assisted living community with a lighter step and in my heart, thanked my Heavenly Father because I knew that He was aware of me, even the small little things in my life. It meant a lot to me.
Monday night I was browsing Facebook and noticed someone post a picture of the BYU student who was killed from an avalanche late Saturday afternoon. I had heard about it. Suddenly, my eyes zoomed back onto the picture. The girl looked just like my volunteer. . and her name was the same. She had been in an avalanche hours after I had seen her at work. And she was no longer alive.
I turned away from the computer and took several deep breaths.
How could someone who had made such a difference in my life for an hour or two, pass beyond this world several hours later? It is an unreal feeling.
This experience has stayed in my mind and heart these past several days. Her name was Ashleigh Cox. She was a great volunteer and she was an angel for me that day. She helped me realize that Heavenly Father has a plan for me and is aware of the things going on in my life. God does work in mysterious ways. My prayers are with the Cox family at this time, and I am so grateful that Ashleigh decided to wake up early on a Saturday morning and help me, because it made a huge difference to me.
Thank you Heavenly Father.
Just think about all of the amazing things we miss out on everyday because we are so caught up in ourselves. God is real and He loves all of His children. Look for those Miracles or Tender Mercies in your life. They are there, and they will change you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow, that is an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. She was your angel for the day. Let me know if you need anything. Seriously, anything. Love you!
i`ll make sure her family gets the message. :)
a friend in the springs
"Amen" to all the sweet and tender mercies----miracles from the Lord. It's my hope that we can have a grateful heart for all eternity and serve ever faithful to the end.
Love you my dear Kristalyn!
Thank you for sharing this story. I don't know Ashleigh or her family but it was very touching to read about the final acts of service of this fine young lady. What an example she set! She will be blessed..
Post a Comment