And for the life of me...I cannot find it.
Anyway. I went down with some friends to St. George a few weekends ago. Turns out it was exactly what I needed.
There was Sun. Warm Sun. There was Air to Breathe. Not to be squished with lots of buildings or people. I felt so free and happy.
We went to Grafton. A Ghost Town...if you didn't know. Settled by Mormon pioneers in 1859, they were sent there by Brigham Young to start the cotton-growing project of Utah. Obviously, it didn't work out. The nearby Virgin River flooded over several times. If I can remember correctly, it was abandoned several times. The Saints kept at it to make the town work. Indian attacks were also a problem in this area unfortunately.
This is a beautiful Place. Not creepy or eerie. . but it is a ghost town. No one lives there anymore. I was so thankful that my friend decided to put this stop to Grafton on our agenda for St. George fun.
First: The Church/School/Social Hall.
This was a place where all of Grafton would gather. They would have church here, as well as school and social gatherings. Grafton actually had a band at one point as well. I always imagine this as being the place to socialize whilst in Grafton. They sure have fixed it up. It looks great.
Now onto the Cute Little Housie. There is an old wooden picket fence with a gate and everything. And in the yard there is a tree swing. I wished I had a pretty old fashioned dress right then...because I was feeling quite at home. :) My imagination is so silly.
This place was so small. Such a shack. I bet they had more than
5 kids too! It was quaint and cute.
Now to the Big House. :) Across the street from the Shack.
This place was big. There was a second story and everything, with a parlor and a big spacious kitchen and several rooms.We even peeked into the cellar downstairs and saw these really old old stairs...that were probably the original stairs. These kinds of things really excite me---I think that is why I loved my Washington D.C. Trip so much. I was able to be in the presence of so much history. Although 1859 wasn't too long ago, it was long enough for me! I wasn't there, and it was neat to be in a place that once had been a town, with nearly 100 people.
We snuck into several older buildings...some of which we were NOT supposed to..but we ignored the No Trespassing Sign. I really just wanted to feel like I was a part of the town. And it worked.
I just wanted to sit there. And listen. Listen to the river rushing nearby. To the occasional moo of a cow, and look at the dirt road where I knew must have been somewhat busy back in the day. to look at the separate properties and the yellow green grass just itching to come out.
Lets just say that it was a very good trip.
I was able to meet a goat without an ear. Even a tree with Shoes all over it. And also a very shiny black lab. I actually even learned how to drive stick in a nice convertible. to DRIVE STICK! Yeah...I will calm down. But it was fun.
I was reminded of how much I really did miss Southern Utah. I was so grateful to drop by and see my family. I feel like I have made life so hard for them, and I just wish I could make everything better. They are wonderful examples to me.
I wish I could go back to the way I was feeling that weekend. So happy and at peace. I know that I have to Remember one Thing: To Be Still

D&C 101:16 "...Be Still and Know that I am God."

1 comments:
You, my best friend, have a beautiful spirit. I love to read your writing. So glad you were able to get away for a trip and to see your family. I love you.
Post a Comment